Friday, November 13, 2009

Ouch!

So, here's the deal. I fall off scaffolding, brake my back and now I'm paralyzed from mid ribcage down. I'm not supposed to feel anything from my point of injury down...well, that's not entirely true. Many people with spinal cord injuries suffer from neuropathic pain. So, technically I do have sensation below my point of injury. Why can't I have the sensation of soaking in a warm bubble bath or being wrapped in a soft blanket, fuzzy slippers on my feet or a relaxing massage. Instead, I have the sensation of someone pulling my toe back by the toenail, a burning sensation throughout my legs, a constant wedgie, a bra strap rubbing over sunburned skin or the feeling of having been dragged across a frozen lake, on my tush, with no pants on. I suppose that's why it's called neuropathic pain.

No comments: