Thursday, October 8, 2009

Life can change in an instant


This post is a little overdue but I'll admit that I've been a little busy lately...at times I may have been busy resting, but busy none the less.

On June 15th of this year (2009) I climbed up the scaffolding that was set up at the back of our house, ready to work on painting the new siding we had installed with the help of our friends, Sam and Chrissie. We only had one more weekend left with the rented scaffolding so I was feeling the pressure to get the work done. It was a Monday and only Abby and I were home. So I worked on painting while Abby played in the back yard. Next thing I know I opened my eyes and was laying on the concrete looking at the sky. I thought I was waking up from an odd dream at first, but as soon as I could feel the warm sun on my face and could hear Abby running up the hill calling for me, I realized it was not a dream. I touched my legs but couldn't feel them and knew I would probably never walk again. I realize now that that may not have been the case (and still may not be). Thankfully, I have absolutely no recollection of the fall. Abby ran up to me and asked me if I was Okay. In a whisper I told her "No...go get Sheena". It was hard to breathe. Sheena is my friend who lives across the street from us. I could hear Abby yelling for Sheena all the way up the stairs, through the front door, across our yard, across the street and all the way to sheena's front door. I could hear the squishy sound of blood in my hair. I felt the back of my head and got blood all over my hand. For some reason I ended up wiping blood on my face, then I tried to wipe it off with the same bloody hand (stop Cris! You're making it worse). I felt no pain at all. It wasn't long before Sheena was there, calling for help. To make a long story short, in no time (although it seemed like forever) I was in an ambulance taking a slow ride to the hospital in Bentonville. They didn't keep me there long and I had my first helicopter ride to the hospital in Springdale. The flight wasn't as fun and exciting as I hoped...it was very short (although massivly expensive) and I only got to see the ceiling of the helicopter. So many things happened when I got to Northwest Medical Center in Springdale that I really don't remember many details. To say the least, much has happened since June 15th. It's going to take me some time to get the blog up to date so the best thing now is to post some pictures of the event early on.

This was at Northwest Medical Center one day after the accident. They still had me wearing that uncomfortable neck brace, but I did get to take it off that day since there was no evidence of a neck injury.

My bunny boots, designed to prevent foot drop.

This is my "sister", Trish. We were roommates a couple of years while we attended Black Forest Academy. It's great that we both live in Northwest Arkansas now. I think she spent every evening at the hospital with me from the day I got hurt, 'til the day I left for rehab. If she couldn't make it in the evening, she was there in the morning.

Trish said I reminded her of Mother Teresa...I think I'm watching television in this picture.

In my hospital room with Trish and Abby.

Me, with no glasses, just before surgery. I really need to consider contact lenses again.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do look like Mother Theresa. HA HA!!
Bethany

Tally said...

Wow! I didn't expect to see myself in this post!! What a tear-jerker!! So glad you'll be coming home this weekend! Can't wait to see you again!! XOXOXO